So in the middle of March I had some issues. I actually thought I was pregnant. I mean I was nauseous, boob tenderness, super tired, my cycles have always been messed up and I was getting lots of head aches. So I went off to the dr's, well when they did the blood work they also checked my CBC because I have not had routine blood work....well ever. So when I got 2 calls within 18hrs from the dr saying that I need to be seen again and have more blood work. I was a little bit worried but made the appt and went in. That is when the lovely dr says to me..."It might be leukemia but don't worry because it may be nothing" I mean WTH you do not tell someone not to worry with that type of news. But anyways I had more and more blood work and had to go see an oncologist/hematologist. And let me tell ya she scared me even more. I get there and the first thing she says after introducing herself is "you need to get to the hospital asap! You might have to start chemo in the hospital but we need to get biopsies and cat-scans done on you today." Yeah thanks for scaring me even more.
So I get home, Arli calls, I go pick him up, we drop the boys off at my moms house and head to the hospital. I get admitted and the waiting process starts.
Well the week of h-e-double hockey sticks ends and we have another appt with the oncologist. Finally, well we got some semi good news. It was not leukemia but it is cancer. The original test they did came back a false positive for leukemia. I have Adult Non- Hodgkin's Lymphoma- Follicular. It is stage 2B which means it is in my lymph nodes throughout my body(which was why I had boob tenderness) and it is also in my spline. We caught it pretty early and most people who have it once it is gone it is gone. The treatment I am on is the top of the line treatment for it due to my age. I have to go through 6 treatments which are every 21 days. At the end of the 6 cycles I will have another bone marrow biopsy, lymph node biopsy and cat scans. We will know it is gone when my bone marrow is clean and my enlarged lymph nodes and spline go down to normal size.
SO now that I am now almost 4 treatments down(wooo hooo) I have been feeling great. I get sick after treatment for a few days and have to take a nap pretty much every day. But other than that I am good. The boys have adjusted well. They actually don't think anything of it. If anything they are happier because Mommy lets them get away with a little more stuff after treatment and they get to watch more tv too.
Obviously our lives have changed. For me it is better. I do not take the little things for granted anymore. I have been playing with the boys more and have been on the computer less so we have more family time. I have also started to think more about church and the stuff that I never really did before like read Scriptures everyday as a family, having family prayer and FHE. Those things were not done before because Arli does not go to church and has no interest to so I did not want to force it on him. So I just never did it but I have started to do it during the day when he is not home that way the boys get used to it and he does not feel pressures. It also helps to bring the Spirit into our home which I have truely noticed and love.
If you have any questions about anything please feel free to ask.
This picture was taken on my first day of treatment.
2 comments:
The way you and your family have handled all of this shows what an amazingly strong family you have- you guys are amazing. You are inspirational Abby, and I only hope that if I am ever faced with such a huge trial that I can handle it with the grace, faith and courage you have. Love you Abby :)
I hope this all works out and that it is gone once the chemo is over! Let me know if I can do anything, you are in my prayers
Post a Comment